Laura Garcia, PhD student at the University of Ottawa under Prof. Elizabeth Judge (University of Ottawa), recently conducted a Spanish language Twitter chat with students at Los Andes University.
Laura presented the discussants with five conclusions:
- One of the most important elements of the right to privacy is for the user to have control over the information shared and who has access this information
- It is not easy to find and/or remove the collection of geographic information made automatically by some technologies and companies. Therefore, in these cases the user does not have control over the collection of their locational information
- It is important for the users of the Geoweb to take an active role in the protection of their privacy
- Better regulations are needed. These need to be mandatory and unambiguous
- Civil society needs to advocate for its own rights and demand corporate social responsibility
View the chat transcript below.
— Laura Garcia (@lgarc019) October 6, 2015